CNC Programming Machinist
Reports to: Rifle Division Manager
Work Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00-4:30
General Summary of Purpose of This Position: Programming CNC machines, design and build fixtures, work in conjunction with Engineering department to facilitate new projects onto the Shop floor.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Create programs and instructions for machinists.
- Review 3D CAD design blueprints.
- Write and document job task documentation such that operators can pull tooling and set up repeat jobs
- Make calculations for programming including where materials should be cut.
- Ability to translate instructions into various CAM software programs such as Inventor Cam, Master Cam or Surf Cam.
- Communicate with Manager, Engineers and Machinists who will use the programs.
- Check completed programs by running simulations or tests.
- Prepare geometric layout of designs using proper software.
- Determine sequence of operations in a program.
- Choose cutting tools that will be needed and works directly with Tooling mfg.
- Analyze job order and performs necessary calculations.
- Write programs and modifies existing ones for increased efficiency.
- Analyze and selects speeds and cutting tools for programs.
- Make improvements to set up times for a task and contouring of complex shapes.
- Simplify tooling time for workers and increases productivity.
- Evaluate all completed designs to validate their functions and ensure they successfully reduce time and money for the company.
- Monitor all programs to make sure they follow blueprint instructions and safely and successfully complete the task.
- Provide training for machinists on all automated systems.
- Comply with all safety rules and regulations pertaining to OSHA, EPA and the State of Oregon.
- Ability to sit or stand for up to 8 hours at a time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to deal with pressure to meet deadlines, to be accurate and to handle constantly changing situations, and to create a positive work environment.
- The ability to deal with a variety of people and deal with stressful situations and handle conflict with a positive outcome.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have superior CNC programming skills.
- Must have excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Good math skills, especially algebra, and trigonometry.
- Good active listening skills.
- Must have good problem solving skills.
- Must have excellent time management skills.
- Must have good organizational and planning skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be mechanically inclined.
- Knowledge of metal shop work.
- Must be highly detail oriented.
- Must be able to work effectively with little or no supervision.
- Must have the ability to write and read complex spreadsheets.
- Must have the ability to read blueprints.
- Knowledge of safety measures pertinent to each job assignment.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in CNC programming, a computer-related field or a mechanical field.
- Knowledge of electronics and machine tools.
- Experience with programming.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ Experience in Programming.
- Continuing education to learn new techniques as they emerge.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate.
Nosler, Inc. has a “Standard of Excellence” code. The Company expects all its personnel to maintain a neat and clean appearance. As part of this commitment, we reserve the right to expect all male personnel to follow the company guidelines regarding hair length, which is not to exceed below the collar. Pony tails or longer hair is not allowed. Mustaches and beards are allowed but must be kept neatly trimmed. In addition, the wearing of visible body piercings by male or female employees (this includes tongue rings, nose studs, eyebrow piercings, etc.) is not allowed in the work area while on duty (except for earrings for female personnel).